Career Planning Begins with Assessment: A Guide for Professionals Serving Youth with Educational and Career Development Challenges
To successfully make the transition from school to adult life and the world of work, adolescents and young adults need guidance and encouragement from caring, supportive adults. The best decisions and choices made by transitioning youth are based on sound information including appropriate assessments that focus on the talents, knowledge, skills, interests, values, and aptitudes of each individual. This guide serves as a resource for multiple audiences within the workforce development system. Youth service professionals will find information on selecting career-related assessments, determining when to refer youth for additional assessment, and additional issues such as accommodations, legal issues, and ethical considerations. Administrators and policymakers will find information on developing practical and effective policies, collaboration among programs, and interagency assessment systems.
MS Word versions of the Assessment Guide and sample forms listed below are designed specifically for those visitors using screen readers and/or braille translators. Phrases such as "pullout" and "sidebar" will be used throughout the Word documents to give readers with low vision and/or blindness a better understanding of how the text is laid out in the PDF version (with complete graphics). In addition, tables and charts within the documents will be reformatted for clarity.
Each of the four chapters and the accompanying exhibits can be separately downloaded below in PDF or MS Word. Also available individually are the sample forms from the Assessment Guide.
Cover, Acknowledgements, Purpose of this Guide, How to Use this Guide, Table of Contents & Appendices
View cover & table of contents in PDF (15 pages) or view cover & table of contents in MS Word.
Chapter 1: Understanding the Terrain of Assessment
Exhibits: Sample Release of Records Form, Compiling Personal Transition Data
View chapter 1 with exhibits in PDF (23 pages) or view chapter 1 in MS Word.
Chapter 2: The Dynamics of Disabilities
Exhibit: Learning Needs Screening Tool
View chapter 2 with exhibits in PDF (21 pages) or view chapter 2 in MS Word.
Chapter 3: Selecting & Using Assessments
Exhibit: Directory of Commonly Used Published Tests
View chapter 3 with exhibits in PDF (63 pages) or view chapter 3 in MS Word.
Chapter 4: The Organizational Perspective
Exhibits: Assessment Resource Mapping, Code of Fair Testing Practices in Education, Code of Professional Ethics & Practices, Family Educational Rights & Privacy Acts (FERPA), The Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy Rule, and Sample Inter-Agency Data-Sharing Agreement
View chapter 4 with exhibits in PDF (30 pages) or view chapter 4 in MS Word.
Directory of Commonly Used Published Tests
View Directory of Commonly Used Published Tests in PDF (56 pages) or view Directory of Commonly Used Published Tests in MS Word.
Vocational Assessment and Its Role in Career Planning
View Vocational Assessment and Its Role in Career Planning in PDF (12 pages) or view Vocational Assessment and Its Role in Career Planning in MS Word.
These following samples from the Assessment Guide can be downloaded and customized to meet your needs.
- Release of Records Form in PDF or MS Word version of Records form,
- Personal Transition Data Form in PDF or MS Word version of Transition Data form,
- Resource Mapping Environmental Scan Tool in PDF or MS Word version of Environmental Scan form,
- Interagency Data-Sharing Agreement in PDF or MS Word version of Agreement,
Learning Needs Screening Tool in PDF or MS Word version of Learning Needs form.
NOTE: This tool should not be altered. Doing so would affect its validity.
- Sample Release of Records Form or Sample Release of Records Form
- Compiling Personal Transition Data or Compiling Personal Transition Data
- Assessment Resource Mapping or Assessment Resource Mapping
- Sample Inter-Agency Data Sharing Agreement or Sample Inter-Agency Data Sharing Agreement
Download all forms in one document or download all forms in one document.
- Code of Fair Testing Practices in Education or Code of Fair Testing Practices in Education
- Code of Professional Ethics and Practices or Code of Professional Ethics and Practices
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) or Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act or The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
- Assessments and Federal Laws or Assessments and Federal Laws
- Glossary of Terms Related to Assessment or Glossary of Terms Related to Assessment
To learn the latest details about NCWD/Youth resources and tools and to discuss news, events, issues and policies central to preparing youth for transition to adulthood.
Follow NCWD/Youth on:
- What's New
- Publications A to Z
- Publications in Spanish
- Publications by Topic
- Disability Disclosure
- Foster Care
- High School/High Tech
- Individualized Learning Plan
- Innovative Strategies
- Juvenile Justice
- Learning Disabilities
- Mental Health Needs
- Performance Measures
- Professional Development
- Soft Skills
- Specific Populations
- Transition Supports
- Universal Design
- Workforce Development
- Youth Development & Leadership
- Publications by Type
- YD/L Glossary